A beach resort waiting to happen
Unawatuna, near Galle, is a beautiful wide curving golden beach. The beach has been acclaimed amongst the 12 best beaches in the world. There is a reef protecting the beach, which makes it safe for bathing. The serene soundings and the Dutch architecture add to the charm of the place.
Unawatuna, situated in the west coast of Sri Lanka, a popular tourist destination is also a breeding ground for turtles. Legend say that Unawatuna was created from a piece of each from Himalaya, that had falled from Hanuman in the Ramayanaya epic.
Unlike the other resorts, to the north Unawatuna is still a very quiet place and an excellent location to enjoy the tropical beauty in relative recluse. Ideal for snorkeling and swimming. There are also some coral reefs to be explored near by Rumassala and now becoming popular as a bird watching location.
Unawatuna offers a wide range of accommodation scattered around the nearby village, with more luxurious places a few minutes drive from the beach. The beach side and restaurants are in abundance.
Things you can do
- Visit to the Dutch Fort in the city of Galle
- Whale watching in Mirissa
- Diving & Snorkelling In Hikkaduwa
- Visit Tea Estates in Deniyaya
- Udawalawe National Park, Yala Safari Park where Leopards, Elephants, Boar, Deer, Sloth Bear and Crocodile can be seen in their natural environment
- Surf in Mirrissa Bay
- Water sports and activities in Unawatuna
- Koggala river safari
- The Hiyare lowland rainforest where you can take a boat ride to the islands on the reservoir
- Visit Turtle hatcheries, Tea estates, Gem mines
In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!
copyrights © Nkar Travels & Tours (Pvt) Ltd. ® 2011