The Dutch House
The villa is conveniently located in a premier position between the hill capital of Kandy and the safari parks in the south of the island. Superb walks and cool climate help to make this the perfect destination for a relaxing holiday, or as a base from which to explore the surrounding sights and southern Hill Country. Bandarawela is a medium size market town situated 4,000 ft (1230m) above sea level. The Dutch House is perched on a mountain side 450 ft above the town, enjoying spectacular views of some of the highest mountains in Sri Lanka. Travelling by vehicle takes about five hours from Colombo, and from Nuwara Eliya the journey time is just over one hour. The scenic train journey from Colombo Fort railway station to Bandarawela station takes around nine hours, with some trains stopping at Kandy en route. The Dutch House is positioned in a very quiet and peaceful location, just 2 km from Bandarawela town.
Type : Boutique Hotels
The Dutch House, one of the Hill Country’s newest boutique villas, offers a very friendly and personal service. With the growing number of discerning travellers looking for something rather special and individual, or simply a romantic escape, The Dutch House-Bandarawela strides to fulfil these requirements by offering a real sense of life, as it once was during the Colonial period, in an atmosphere of serenity and privacy. There are two members of staff available to attend to your every need, and to make your stay as pleasurable as possible, without intruding on your privacy. A guest recently wrote in the visitors’ book. “This has been a real treat and a rare find; beautiful house in a scented garden with warm and happy hospitality” D. Lindsay. London, England. The Dutch House-Bandarawela is a Cape-Dutch style rental villa set within large private grounds, where guests are encouraged to enjoy the attractive two acre landscape gardens which surround the property and command fine views towards the beautiful mountains and tea-gardens. The distinctive Dutch colonial architecture recalls centuries of trade between the Dutch and the people of Ceylon. Bandarawela is famous for its healthy climate and mountain trails, and is the perfect destination for a relaxing holiday, or as a base for touring the southern Hill Country.
Room Catergories: Standard Room
- Walking – There are many nice walks in and around Bandarawela and owing to the relatively quiet roads and the comfortable climate, walking can be very pleasurable and the perfect way to get to know the area. Among these walks, there are beautiful trails passing through the many tea estates in the area, where one can watch the tea pickers at work and admire the mountain scenery.
- Shopping – Bandarawela is a bustling town and on Sundays, there is a lively and colourful fruit and vegetable market well worth visiting. Don’t forget to take your camera. Cargill’s, the local supermarket has been serving British planters for more than 100 years and still retains most of its original character.
- Churches – There are many churches in and around the town and the Church of the Ascension situated near the recreation ground is particularly attractive, built of natural stone, it resembles a typical old English country church.
- Golf – A golf course is available to outsiders at the nearby military camp, Diyatalawa.
- Transport – Apart from buses, there is a train service taking you through some of the most attractive scenery in the world, Should you need a vehicle with a driver to take you around, we will be pleased to arrange a good reliable local driver. Advance notice will be required.